Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Reflections on "Living Below the Line"

Living on $2.25 per day for my food was a challenge!
While the food was fairly bland and I got tired of eating much the same thing every day, I had sufficient to eat.  My $11.25 for 5 days bought me:
  • A dozen eggs
  • A loaf of bread
  • A tin of baked beans
  • A small bag of rice
  • 5 apples
  • Some vegetables (some from our garden, but I factored in an approximate cost)
Sue kindly made the vegetables into a delicious soup.  I was very careful not to drop the soup as I put it away in the fridge, realising that it was my main source of flavour for the week.  I was surprised how protective I was of my meagre larder.

It struck me that my budget didn't allow for "luxuries" such as tea, coffee, milk, sugar, or meat.  I did get tired of only drinking water.

Early on in the week I had some mild headaches (probably caffeine withdrawal), but overall I felt quite well.  I played four games of squash that week and had sufficient energy from all those good carbohydrates, although I lost about a kilogram in weight.

One family who took part told me that the parents had eaten less so their teenagers could eat more.  I wonder how often parents go without food so their children can eat - even in New Zealand.

The experience challenged me to simplify my lifestyle, so I have more resources to give to those in need.