Our model of global mission is one of partnership - doing things with the local Christians and not doing things for people. Clearly we had something to contribute, but we also had much to learn about Thailand, about how God is working in another culture, and about ourselves. Our prayer is that God will continue to build these partnerships as well and help us to grow through this experience.
The objectives of our time were:
- Giving people a taste of cross cultural mission to get them enthused and help raise up the next generation of missionaries, and people who will commit to praying and supporting missionaries.
- Spiritual growth of those who go – especially teenagers.
- Encouragement and support of missionaries we visit (including completing some practical project while we are there). This includes the goal of not getting “in the way” of missionaries while we are there.
- Build our partnership with the San Patong Community Church.
- Raising the profile of global mission in East Taieri Church.
We worked hard in Thailand, but we will also need to put in some work, thought and prayer, back in NZ if we are going to cement these experiences and grow as people through them.